Where to play in Amsterdam ?

De plaats voor onderwerpen binnen Magic: the Gathering die je niet in andere fora kwijt kunt.

Moderator: Admins & Moderators

yeahlvlvlv
Starter

Re: Where to play in Amsterdam ?

Bericht door yeahlvlvlv »

Jibz schreef:
yeahlvlvlv schreef:I do have a green set with big beasts such as Terra Stomper and creatures which can generate mana power such as Llanowar Elves. The other one I have is a blue/white deck which contains lots of counter spells and creatures like Frost Titan.
I am Chinese and doing internship here recently but as I start to play mtg in the Netherlands, most of my cards are English ones.
Gotta sit in on this real quick.
While I'm not familiar with the whereabouts of plays in Amsterdam, I myself am currently conducting studies in China, and have more or less familiarized myself with most of the Chinese terms core to playing Magic, so perhaps after I'm back in the Netherlands we could find a day on which we can play some games, allow me to further practice my Chinese a bit. Will depend on how much time you'll be spending in the Netherlands, though, because as I said for the moment I'm still in China.
The MTG in China is quite a thing. I am from Shanghai so I know that there are more than 7 shops in the city which are qualified to hold tournaments such as pre-release and some of the shops are open only for MTG!
My internship will last ten months and it has already been four but I may follow one master course here so I think I will stay longer then this. Hope that I could see you when I am still here.
Jibz
Wizard

Bericht door Jibz »

Yeah, it seems so, I'm in Beijing atm, and I know of 2 shops that sell Magic cards in my direct vicinity, and they are just across the street from each other. Only 1 of those holds tournaments though, I have also attended my first prerelease (or any tournament whatsoever) there. Of course, there's definitely more stores around Beijing, but these two are closest to me, so I don't need much more at the moment :P Even heard of this Chinese national event (not sure if Wizards had anything to do with it, it wasn't up on their website), it might have been called the 全國聯賽, but I might be mistaken. I think it was supposed to be somewhere around december... Not sure though. You ever heard of that? I would've joined it, but on that specific day the subways weren't running as usual, so I couldn't make it.

Yeah, sounds good, I hope we can get it together. My scholarship lasts for 10 months as well and I've had 6 now, and pretty determined to get back to the Netherlands after that, so we should have some time to go after that, dependent on how much more time I will spent traveling in Asia after this term ends (pretty long way back here once I'm back in Europe, so might as well make it count).
By the time you finish reading this, you might realise that you have just wasted 2 to 5 seconds of your life.
yeahlvlvlv
Starter

Bericht door yeahlvlvlv »

Jibz schreef:Yeah, it seems so, I'm in Beijing atm, and I know of 2 shops that sell Magic cards in my direct vicinity, and they are just across the street from each other. Only 1 of those holds tournaments though, I have also attended my first prerelease (or any tournament whatsoever) there. Of course, there's definitely more stores around Beijing, but these two are closest to me, so I don't need much more at the moment :P Even heard of this Chinese national event (not sure if Wizards had anything to do with it, it wasn't up on their website), it might have been called the 全國聯賽, but I might be mistaken. I think it was supposed to be somewhere around december... Not sure though. You ever heard of that? I would've joined it, but on that specific day the subways weren't running as usual, so I couldn't make it.

Yeah, sounds good, I hope we can get it together. My scholarship lasts for 10 months as well and I've had 6 now, and pretty determined to get back to the Netherlands after that, so we should have some time to go after that, dependent on how much more time I will spent traveling in Asia after this term ends (pretty long way back here once I'm back in Europe, so might as well make it count).
I heard of it before but not sure if it is official. I think it is kind of tournament that is held by some sponsors and the winners can get some money for the rewards ( do not know the exact amount). The subways in that place is always like that and it is a pity you could not attend.
pi
Archmage
Contacteer:

Bericht door pi »

yeahlvlvlv schreef:
pi schreef:You're describing the kind of deck rather than the format, but that's ok, I get the impression. I think you need to look for a very casual group. I would recommend going to either cafe Uilenstede (in Amstelveen) on Sunday evening or spellencafe 2 Klaveren on Monday evening and asking around. Most people in either place will be competitively oriented, but likely there will be a few who aren't or who know others who aren't. Another good idea might be to visit the pre-release or release tournaments for the next set (Dragon's Maze) that take place in the 2 Klaveren as well. Those tournaments tend to attract an above average number of casual players and through asking around you might be able to find yourself a group. unfortunately it will be a few months before there's another one of those tournaments. At either location the more compatitively oriented players will likely be able to tell you where to find type 2 games too.

You'd also be welcome to join the casual group I regularly play with, but we play the EDH/Commander format exclusively so you would probably have to borrow a deck. I tend to bring the Commander Preconstructed decks to those games for exactly that purpose, but while they are pretty good for precons those decks will be weaker than our regular decks and it requires a lot of skill to win with them. We tend to speak English during these games too as one of our group members is Canadian and not very good at Dutch. You do need to be at least 18 as we play in a coffeeshop, but as you're here for an internship I am guessing you are likely old enough.

Somehow your phrasing in English reminds me of the English written by some Dutchies I know, I was wondering if you might be a native Dutch speaker who has gotten confused by the topic and is therefore writing in English :). Most people in The Netherlands wouldn't mind if you play foreign cards as long as you know what they do, though they likely will prefer English over Chinese if given the choice.
Thanks for the advice! Due to some Internet problem I did not reply that soon. Anyway I think EDH is also a very good idea to play although I do not quite familiar with it except the huge card... I would very like to visit you in the coffee shop sometime to see how the commander is working. My internship is in a hotel so I do not have regular free days but if you tell me in advance when you are going to play I may come and meet you guys according to the free time~
We never use the huge cards ;). We tend to (try to) play every Sunday. Basically what happens is: someone (usually me), sends out an e-mail on Wednesday asking who's up for playing next Sunday, then people respond and when we know 4 or more people will be there the game is on. We tend to feel that playing with less than 4 players is not very interesting. I can just add your e-mail to the distribution list and you can just reply back when you want to join us (use reply to all, so that everyone knows).
Je kunt een bijdrage doen aan de kosten van dit forum via deze link.
fredmanders
Starter

Bericht door fredmanders »

Hi Pi,

could you also add me to the recipients for the Sunday EDH? I moved to Amsterdam on Monday and I'd love to join you guys for some card slinging!

Fred
pi
Archmage
Contacteer:

Bericht door pi »

Hi Fred,

can you tell me a little more about yourself? (A PM would be fine) Like where are you originally from, are you familiar with EDH, given our location: your age, whatever else you feel might be interesting?

Btw, with the pre-release this weekend I doubt we'll have enough people to play with this Sunday. I also organise a games afternoon every 2nd and 4th Saturday (no Magic, regular board, card and dice games), that will take place regardless of the pre-release, maybe that would also interest you?

Regards,

pi
ricklee
Starter

Bericht door ricklee »

i am reaching amsterdam in the early morning on this sunday for my world magic cup. i would like to look for a place to trade, community play around Amsterdam. i am might be bringing down a few thousand bulk rare. it there any shop in Amsterdam accepting bulk rare? if they do, mind share their buying rates?
pi
Archmage
Contacteer:

Bericht door pi »

How long will you be here? Pretty much all to do here can be found by reading back in the topic.

I'd trade for bulk assuming the cards are in good enough condition, English and actually rare (I frequently deal in bulk rares, it's surprising how often that goes wrong). Shops pay 10 cents each pretty consistently if they take them at all. I wouldn't buy but might value them slightly higher in trade. Depending on where you're from prices might be on the high side here though. $1 card = €1 card here is pretty common.
ricklee
Starter

Bericht door ricklee »

i will be here from this sunday 28/07/2013 to next coming monday 5/08/2013. Great i don't mind trading, can i know where and what time can meet you up? is there any player will be up there at 2 Klavere on this sunday morning?. i also have my own commander deck for fun slinging too.
pi
Archmage
Contacteer:

Bericht door pi »

I doubt anyone I know will be at the 2 klaveren tomorrow morning unless there's some tournament (which I'm not aware off, not a competitive player). You might find some there Monday evening though.

Before we meet up I would want to be fairly sure we can reach an agreement, otherwise we're both just wasting each other's time. If you could have a look at my haves and consider what you might be interested in and at which amount of crap rares we should be able to figure that out pretty quickly. I do need the bulk rares to be in approximately NM condition. My haves can be found here:
http://www.magicforums.nl/viewtopic.php?p=123 (I try to keep this up-to-date and it should be for like 99%, but no guarantees)

I have more than that too, happy to see if I have some of your wants. I'd suggest we take this to PM.

If we can reach an agreement I'd be happy to meet up, I figure the 2 klaveren would be a pretty decent place to do so. I work full time, but meeting there after I'm done with work would be feasible.
Florent
Starter

Bericht door Florent »

Hello, I'm a french cook arrived 6 months ago in Amsterdam and I'm now looking for players to enjoy some magic. I recently brought my cards from France, so I'm now ready to build some decks. Forgive my deutch, it is not much yet (ik spreek klein beetje Nederlands ^^). I found this topic and I'd like to know if the informations were still true :
EDIT 29-11-2012:
We no longer play EDH at the Picasso, however we do play at a different coffeeshop now that's about 50 meters away from it. If you'd be interested in joining us just respond to this topic.
So if you let me know the new place, I would love to join you next Sunday.
Usually I finish working at 14:30 or 15:00 on Sundays, and I don't work on mondays. I heard there was some magic playing at Cafe de Twee Klaveren on Mondays, do they play commander, legacy, standart?
In advance, thank you.
Florent
pi
Archmage
Contacteer:

Bericht door pi »

Unfortunately the group basically fell apart so I'm afraid that information is no longer true. Also, we tended to play long games so a late arrival would often mean you'd be waiting for quite some time before you got a chance to play. I do get some people together sporadically but it's not a very common occurence. Are you into other tabletop games? I organize a games afternoon every 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month and there are a few other events being organized too. I've seen many foreigners at these events, it's not a problem at all, in fact one of them even aims at foreigners (I've been the only Dutchy at one of their events).

In the Twee Klaveren they tend to play limited, with tables for beginners and advanced players (up to very advanced). I have seen some Commander there, but not much. There are also the Magic Sunday events Nedermagic organizes in Amstelveen (which are bound to end soon as their location closes) and I know someone is organizing FNM in Amsterdam, but I don't know the details. I personally think 1 on 1 Magic is a little boring in comparison to multiplayer so you don't often see me in those places, but if you're just longing for a game I can throw a deck together and you can come over. I don't have enough Standard to compete, but I can field a tournament worthy deck in any other format if required (granted my Vintage options are fairly limited) and have a bunch of casual All Common, Vintage and EDH decks, though most are designed for multiplayer.

If you want to host or organize a regular multiplayer gathering I'd be game and I know a few others from the former group that would likely be interested too.
Plaats reactie