Where to play in Amsterdam ?

De plaats voor onderwerpen binnen Magic: the Gathering die je niet in andere fora kwijt kunt.

Moderator: Admins & Moderators

Melchette
Starter

Re: Where to play in Amsterdam ?

Bericht door Melchette »

Not visiting any matches sadly but one of the guys who is going is a Man Utd fan. So he want's to make sure he catches their games on TV. I think thats Tuesday night.

We're staying on Damrak and from what I can see, Picasso is only about 10-15 mins away which is not too bad.
pi
Archmage
Contacteer:

Bericht door pi »

We no longer play at the Picasso, we do however play at a coffeeshop close to it called Siberië. Unfortunately we only play on Sunday and officially playing games at this coffeeshop is prohibited. We are exempt from this prohibition when we play on Sunday , but I would imagine things would be more difficult during the week, especially as they don't know you guys.

I would recommend looking into these:
- Monday evening there are drafts and sometimes EDH at the 2 Klaveren (http://www.2-klaveren.nl/home.html that's their address bottom center)
- The 2 Klaveren is a "Games Café" anyway and could be a good location to play as they're pretty used to it and you might just run into some local players. They have pretty decent food and drinks.
- The Gamekeeper is the biggest B&M shop in Amsterdam and is close to where you're staying (http://www.gamekeeper.nl/ address bottom left), they have a table that can be used to play some pickup games, though these days it's more commonly used to sort new inventory, so it might not be available. Don't expect a large inventory, though they do generally have a few interesting singles.
- I doubt many bars would mind if you just sit down to play as long as you also make some purchases.
- Nedermagic.nl is the biggest online shop in NL and they are located in Amstelveen, not too far from Amsterdam center by public transport. If you want to purchase some cards you might want to look there, though make sure to make an appointment with the owner: he's not going to appreciate you just walking in as he stores his inventory at home.

I will be working during the week but might possibly be interested in joining for a few games in the evening depending on your preferred format.
Je kunt een bijdrage doen aan de kosten van dit forum via deze link.
Donnie Darko
Wizard

Bericht door Donnie Darko »

Something has come up for monday, I'm afraid I won't be able to play on that day. I'm also unsure about any other day of next week, will try to keep you up to date.
Work is the curse of the drinking class
mwaddoups
Starter

Bericht door mwaddoups »

Are any of these games going on likely to be in English? My Dutch is currently really poor and I wouldn't want to force players to speak differently! I moved here from the UK to start work ~3 months ago and haven't played Magic in 5 or so years, but recently picked up some starter decks again and it would be cool to find people to play with!
pi
Archmage
Contacteer:

Bericht door pi »

The Sunday EDH game I'm part of is predominantly in English, we have a Canadian guy playing along and his Dutch isn't very strong (though always stronger than we expect ;)). There might be some Dutch chatter every now and then, but we definitely wouldn't mind as we're used to speaking English anyway. Are you familiar with the EDH/Commander format? I normally bring the 5 precons along to lend out to whoever wants them, they are not great, but better than the usual precons Wizards makes and they are decent introductory decks to the format. We do play this format exclusively, in a multiplayer setting with 4 or more people per game and we're a fairly casual group. (I mention that as it might not be for everyone).

As this is Magic I doubt anybody playing anywhere would really mind speaking English, knowing the language is pretty much a prerequisite. There are regular games in Cafe Uilenstede in Amstelveen on Sunday and in the 2 Klaveren on Monday too. You can find FNM in Purmerend on Friday (obviously), but that's a little further away. Is there a specific kind of game you're looking for?
yeahlvlvlv
Starter

Bericht door yeahlvlvlv »

Hello guys,

I am now playing t2 and wondering if there are some one would like to play it as well?
pi
Archmage
Contacteer:

Bericht door pi »

I'm not a type 2 player. Where are you currently located?
yeahlvlvlv
Starter

I live close to the metro station Weesperplein which is not far from the city center.
pi
Archmage
Contacteer:

Bericht door pi »

I know there's an FNM in Purmerend, you might want to try to find out more about that. I don't think Amsterdam has regular Type 2 play, though I can't be 100% sure.
yeahlvlvlv
Starter

pi schreef:i know there's an FNM in Purmerend, you might want to try to find out more about that. I don't think Amsterdam has regular Type 2 play, though I can't be 100% sure.
Well pi thanks for your reply. I also have some decks for fun so I can play with other decks...
pi
Archmage
Contacteer:

Bericht door pi »

Depending on the kind of format your fun decks are aimed at I might be able to make a few suggestions. Would you have a little more info for me?

Might I ask what your mother tongue is?
yeahlvlvlv
Starter

I do have a green set with big beasts such as Terra Stomper and creatures which can generate mana power such as Llanowar Elves. The other one I have is a blue/white deck which contains lots of counter spells and creatures like Frost Titan.
I am Chinese and doing internship here recently but as I start to play mtg in the Netherlands, most of my cards are English ones.
pi
Archmage
Contacteer:

Bericht door pi »

You're describing the kind of deck rather than the format, but that's ok, I get the impression. I think you need to look for a very casual group. I would recommend going to either cafe Uilenstede (in Amstelveen) on Sunday evening or spellencafe 2 Klaveren on Monday evening and asking around. Most people in either place will be competitively oriented, but likely there will be a few who aren't or who know others who aren't. Another good idea might be to visit the pre-release or release tournaments for the next set (Dragon's Maze) that take place in the 2 Klaveren as well. Those tournaments tend to attract an above average number of casual players and through asking around you might be able to find yourself a group. unfortunately it will be a few months before there's another one of those tournaments. At either location the more compatitively oriented players will likely be able to tell you where to find type 2 games too.

You'd also be welcome to join the casual group I regularly play with, but we play the EDH/Commander format exclusively so you would probably have to borrow a deck. I tend to bring the Commander Preconstructed decks to those games for exactly that purpose, but while they are pretty good for precons those decks will be weaker than our regular decks and it requires a lot of skill to win with them. We tend to speak English during these games too as one of our group members is Canadian and not very good at Dutch. You do need to be at least 18 as we play in a coffeeshop, but as you're here for an internship I am guessing you are likely old enough.

Somehow your phrasing in English reminds me of the English written by some Dutchies I know, I was wondering if you might be a native Dutch speaker who has gotten confused by the topic and is therefore writing in English :). Most people in The Netherlands wouldn't mind if you play foreign cards as long as you know what they do, though they likely will prefer English over Chinese if given the choice.
Jibz
Wizard

Bericht door Jibz »

yeahlvlvlv schreef:I do have a green set with big beasts such as Terra Stomper and creatures which can generate mana power such as Llanowar Elves. The other one I have is a blue/white deck which contains lots of counter spells and creatures like Frost Titan.
I am Chinese and doing internship here recently but as I start to play mtg in the Netherlands, most of my cards are English ones.
Gotta sit in on this real quick.
While I'm not familiar with the whereabouts of plays in Amsterdam, I myself am currently conducting studies in China, and have more or less familiarized myself with most of the Chinese terms core to playing Magic, so perhaps after I'm back in the Netherlands we could find a day on which we can play some games, allow me to further practice my Chinese a bit. Will depend on how much time you'll be spending in the Netherlands, though, because as I said for the moment I'm still in China.
By the time you finish reading this, you might realise that you have just wasted 2 to 5 seconds of your life.
yeahlvlvlv
Starter

pi schreef:You're describing the kind of deck rather than the format, but that's ok, I get the impression. I think you need to look for a very casual group. I would recommend going to either cafe Uilenstede (in Amstelveen) on Sunday evening or spellencafe 2 Klaveren on Monday evening and asking around. Most people in either place will be competitively oriented, but likely there will be a few who aren't or who know others who aren't. Another good idea might be to visit the pre-release or release tournaments for the next set (Dragon's Maze) that take place in the 2 Klaveren as well. Those tournaments tend to attract an above average number of casual players and through asking around you might be able to find yourself a group. unfortunately it will be a few months before there's another one of those tournaments. At either location the more compatitively oriented players will likely be able to tell you where to find type 2 games too.

You'd also be welcome to join the casual group I regularly play with, but we play the EDH/Commander format exclusively so you would probably have to borrow a deck. I tend to bring the Commander Preconstructed decks to those games for exactly that purpose, but while they are pretty good for precons those decks will be weaker than our regular decks and it requires a lot of skill to win with them. We tend to speak English during these games too as one of our group members is Canadian and not very good at Dutch. You do need to be at least 18 as we play in a coffeeshop, but as you're here for an internship I am guessing you are likely old enough.

Somehow your phrasing in English reminds me of the English written by some Dutchies I know, I was wondering if you might be a native Dutch speaker who has gotten confused by the topic and is therefore writing in English :). Most people in The Netherlands wouldn't mind if you play foreign cards as long as you know what they do, though they likely will prefer English over Chinese if given the choice.
Thanks for the advice! Due to some Internet problem I did not reply that soon. Anyway I think EDH is also a very good idea to play although I do not quite familiar with it except the huge card... I would very like to visit you in the coffee shop sometime to see how the commander is working. My internship is in a hotel so I do not have regular free days but if you tell me in advance when you are going to play I may come and meet you guys according to the free time~
Plaats reactie